Tuesday, January 10, 2012

God is Able!

I have so many stories I still want to tell you, but I really want to share with you what God is doing in my life right now! It's really been a struggle in my life for several years, but I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.
Your Dad and I bought a house shortly after we got married. It was a small old home and quite a fixer upper. We lived there until your Dad got out of the army, and started building homes. He wanted to build us a home so we tried and tried to get the money to build, but the economy had tanked and nobody was lending money especially to new builders. We were told by one bank if we sold the home we were in, then they would let us have the money for your Dad to build us a home.
So that's what we did, we sold our home, moved in with Baba and Pops with plans to start construction on a new home shortly after. But things continued to get worse and after a year of trying to buy property and build a home we, I, was frustrated. One night when living with Baba and Pops, I was just discouraged about everything. I found myself on my knees crying out to the Lord! (Abigail, a random fact, God always speaks to me when I am on my knees) I was reading the Word and praying, just begging the Lord to speak to my heart. I opened the Bible to 1 Chronicles 17:10 and this verse jump out of the pages and into my heart. The Word became alive for me and God made me this promise, "I declare that the Lord will build a home for you."
These words meant so much to me for moment and I told your Dad about it. We were excited about what we thought the Lord was going to do, but time passed and still no home. We decided it was time to move so we found a foreclosed home with a empty lot on the deed. I have to admit to you this home was not really what I wanted, but I could tell your Dad felt like this was the right place for us. So here we are.  In a little bitty house and we are busting at the seams. When I imagined my life, this is not the home I imagined I would bring you home to and I know your Dad wants something so much more. We watch as friends move and build homes and I continue to be frustrated. Frustrated because I know He is able, but why won't He!
Recently, I started a Bible Study with the women at Highland. It is called, "Faithful, Abundant, and True." The Bible Study really has gotten me back in the Word and back on my face before the Lord. Right now we have been talking about Ephesians 3: 20-21.

 "Now to him who is able to do exceedingly and abundantly more than we could ever ask or think, according to the power working in us to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen"

As Priscilla Shirer reads these words, I could feel my eyes filling with tears. I am desperately trying not to cry as I think about our home and the house we are trying so desperately to build. Do I believe God is able? Absolutely, remember He saved your dad from death, but why won't he do move in our lives? What is God waiting for? Why is this road never ending? When is my exceedingly and abundantly going to take place for us?

Questions filled my mind and my heart and I continued to ask myself these questions for days. Finally, I realized, I was asking the wrong person these questions. I needed to be asking the Lord and seeking His face for the answers. The Lord began to work in my heart and I began to see so many things I had thought were the Lord building our home but were really us trying to build it on our own. Beginning the house, we decided we were going to go to a bank to help us build the home. We put all our faith and hope in the bank and just knew everything was going to work out. It failed. Then, we decided to seek a private investor to build our home. It failed. Our last hope, to build the home on our own. We would save every dime we could and pay cash for the home as we went. This seemed like the answer. I really thought I was trusting the Lord by doing this thing on our own, however, it failed. The movie up explains this failure so well. We had a jar, if you will, that we continued to put the money in to save. The jar would get full and we would get excited because we knew we would be able to start soon, and then something would happen. Dad needed a new truck. Crushed the jar and spent the money. We decided it was time to have a baby, which meant I needed a new car. Crushed the jar. You were born and I wanted to quit work. Crushed Jar. God was continuing to try and get our attention to say, you cannot do it alone. You need me! I now begin asking myself, how do I allow the Lord to build our home? How do I stay out of the way?

Cookie, a sweet lady at Highland, said these words to me, "you need to look at Satan and say I am not listening to you and I dont want you here so get on down the road, just get on down the road." All this time I was believing the lies of satan. I was believing that God really could not build the home. I was dening that He is able by not allowing Him to move freely in my life. I had to begin to allow the Lord to reign and just pray I would not mess up what the Lord was trying to do in our life. I had to tell Satan to "get on down the road." i had to put my faith and hope in the Lord and cling to the promise he gave me so many months before.

I began to claim and pray Ephesians 3:20-21 over the land we had next door. When I would drive in the driveway, I would pray. When I would rock you to sleep, I would look out the window and pray. Everytime I thought about the land and the home I so desperately wanted, I prayed that verse over the land.

The Lord moved so much faster than I ever thought possible, the exceedingly, and we were not going to have to do it on our own, the abundantly. We stand within two weeks of breaking ground on our new home. What a journey it has been. We are so thrilled to see what God has done and I daily stand in awe of how the Lord got us here, but I also struggle with the idea that I kept it from happening so much sooner. I have learned so much about what it means to trust the Lord wholeheartedly and to wait on His timing.

Abigail, I want you to always know that you serve a God W

1 comment:

  1. So sweet, Mal. Your letters to Abigail always bless my heart and encourage me!

    ReplyDelete